Updated: Jun 23, 2020
Originally named Wickwires after its first settlers, in 1860 John Wardrope suggested the community’s name be changed due to the numerous mills in the area. Milford is located in Hants County in the Shubenacadie Valley, through which the Shubenacadie River flows.
Milford is the home of the largest gypsum quarry in the world, run by National Gypsum Company. Read more about the quarry here.
In 1991 a grader operator named Stanley McMullin was excavating fill from a sinkhole in the Milford Quarry, when he noticed a tusk. About 80,000 years prior, a male mastodon fell into a sinkhole, broke its leg and drowned. His partial skeleton, including the tusk, was recovered and studied by archeologists from the Nova Scotia Museum. A full scale replica of the mastodon found in Milford is now on display on Mastodon Ridge in Stewiacke.
Interesting stories from Milford Station/Milford/East Milford: